Serbia – Serbian Association for Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology
Page Last Updated: 20/12/2022
|President, IAS Delegate
Dragan M. Djuric, MD, PhD, FIACS, FIUPS
Vladimir Lj. Jakovljevic, MD, PhD, FIACS
In 2002 the basic cardiovascular research group of the former Yugoslav Atherosclerosis Society and the Serbian Physiological Society founded the Serbian Association for Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Research (formerly known as the Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Research of the Serbian Physiological Society). The newly established scientific association in Serbia consisted of physiologists, pharmacologists, molecular biologists, geneticists, clinical chemists and clinicians with experience and interest in the field of arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology research. The members of the Serbian ATVB are recognized members of several international scientific organizations and they established strong research contacts with the International Atherosclerosis Society, European Atherosclerosis Society, International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences and International Society for Pathophysiology. The co-founder of the former Yugoslav Atherosclerosis Society (in 1997) and co-organizer of the First Yugoslav Congress on Atherosclerosis with International Participation (Belgrade, 2001) was Professor Dragan M. Djuric, MD, PhD, Faculty of Medicine University of Belgrade.
The Serbian Association for Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Research has become a constituent member of International Atherosclerosis Society since 2003.
List of Activities:
The Serbian Association for Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology Research done the following activities:
- CME educational courses in 2003, 2004 and 2006 on “Scientific Basis of Atherosclerosis Prevention with Introduction to Harmonized IAS Guidelines” for health professional community. It was accredited by the Faculty of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Serbian Medical Society and International Atherosclerosis Society, and held in Belgrade and province of Vojvodina.
- CME educational courses in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 on “Atherosclerosis, Risk Factors, Pathogenesis, Therapy and Prevention” accredited by Faculty of Medicine (now Faculty of Medical Sciences), University of Kragujevac. These activities were organized in different cities of Serbia (Belgrade, Kragujevac, Valjevo) as a result of cooperation with local health centres, and also with the participation of the specialized hospitals for heart and cerebrovascular diseases.
- The monograph entitled “Atherosclerosis: Risk Factors, Pathogenesis, Therapy, Prevention” with IAS harmonized guidelines for atherosclerosis prevention (in Serbian language) was published in 2005 for health professional community. The monograph entitled “Nutrition, Treatment and Cardiovascular Risk Management” was published in 2007.
- Satellite symposium of the XIV International Symposium on Atherosclerosis (ISA Rome 2006) entitled “From Vascular Biology to the Atherosclerosis Prevention: An Eastern European Perspective”, and with recognition of the Union of European Medical Specialists (UEMS) certificate was held on June 15-16, 2006, Belgrade, Serbia. The report from that symposium was published in CV Network (bulletin of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences).
The final program can be seen at
- International scientific symposium entitled “Oxidative Stress and the Mechanisms of Protection” was held on November 2-3, 2006, Kragujevac, Serbia.
- Scientific conference entitled “Nutrition, Treatment and Cardiovascular Risk Management” with the recognized UEMS certificate was held on May 24-27, 2008, Novi Sad, Serbia, and under patronage of the International Atherosclerosis Society and the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences. The report from the conference was published in CV Network (bulletin of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences).
The final program can be seen at
- During the Second Congress of Physiological Sciences of Serbia with International Participation (Kragujevac, September 17-20, 2009) different symposia were held on stem cell biology, cardiovascular biology, and cardiovascular pathophysiology.
- During the Scientific Conference with International Participation on Preclinical Testing of Active Substances and Cancer Research (Kragujevac, March 16-19, 2011) international symposium was organized on anti-cancer agents and cardiovascular toxicity.
- During the Third Congress of Physiological Sciences of Serbia with International Participation (Belgrade, October 29-31, 2014) different symposia were held on advances in cardiovascular research, cardiac physiology and pharmacology, novel therapeutic interventions and cardiovascular diseases.
- Different scientific sessions were organized together with the Serbian Neurocardiological Society and the Serbian Autonomic Society during their congresses in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 in Belgrade.
- During the Fourth Congress of Physiological Sciences of Serbia with International Participation (Niš, October 19-23, 2018) different symposia were held on cardiac physiology and cardioprotection, advances in vascular biology and atherosclerosis research, sudden cardiac death and novel regulators of cardiac activity.
- During bilateral Scientific Meeting of National Slovak and Serbian Physiological Societies (Kovacica, June 20-22, 2013; Smolenice Castle, May 15-18, 2016; Topola – Oplenac, Serbia, June 20-22, 2019), different symposia were organized on cardiovascular biology, cardiovascular health and nutrition, oxidative stress, exercise, and hyperbaric physiology.
- 2nd European Section Meeting of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences was organized in Belgrade, the Republic of Serbia (October 7-11, 2015). The report can be seen at http://www.heartacademy.org/newsletter/14/4.pdf.
- 6th Meeting of European Section and 7th Meeting of North American Section of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences (IACS) was organized in Vrnjacka Banja, the Republic of Serbia (September 11-14, 2019). The report can be seen at http://www.heartacademy.org/newsletter/18/4.pdf.
- 7th Meeting of European Section and 8th Meeting of North American Section of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences (IACS) was co-organized in Banja Luka, the Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina (September 20-23, 2021). The report can be seen at https://0901.nccdn.net/4_2/000/000/072/2aa/cv-network-vol-20.-no.-3-september-october-2021.pdf.