Asian Pacific Society of Atherosclerosis and Vascular Diseases
Page Last Updated: 17/07/2019
Prince of Wales Hospital
Osaka University Hospital
Cardinal Santos Medical Center
Teresa Abola (Philippines)
Yasufumi Sato (Japan)
Piyamitr Sritara (Thailand)
Rody Sy (Philippines)
Hapizah Nawawi (Malaysia)
Eugenio Ramos and Adriel Guerrero (Philippines – APSAVD 2018)
3/10 Pioneer Avenue, Tuggerah, New South Wales 2259
Tel.: +61 2 4356 6409
The main aim of the Society is to provide a forum for Scientists and Clinicians in the region interested in Atherosclerosis to meet regularly and share updates on the subject, as well as highlight similarities and differences of the disease as seen in the region compared to that seen in the western world where studies and guidelines usually originate.
History of Asian Pacific Society of Atherosclerosis and Vascular Disease:
The Asian Pacific Society of Atherosclerosis and Vascular Disease was established in 1996. The Founding Chairman was Professor Akira Yamamoto of Japan. The Society has conducted a regional Congress every two years, but from 2018 will hold annual Congresses. Other smaller meetings are also held, often in association with local Societies or whenever requested to address a specific topic. Congress history:
- First congress 1998 (Taiwan)
- Second congress 2000 (Thailand)
- Third congress 2002 (Philippines)
- Fourth congress 2004 (Indonesia)
- Fifth congress 2006 (Korea)
- Sixth Congress 2008 (Hong Kong)
- Seventh Congress 2010 (Australia)
- Eighth Congress 2012 (Thailand)
- Ninth Congress 2014 (Hong Kong)
- Tenth Congress 2016 (Japan)
The APSAVD hosts small meetings in areas of interest and need to the region.
- The inaugural Salt Workshop, supported by the Philippines Lipid and Atherosclerosis Society, Society of Hypertension and the Asian Pacific Society of Atherosclerosis and Vascular Diseases (APSAVD) was organised by Dr Rody Sy and colleagues in February 2010. For a report on the meeting, please click here.
- Other workshop have focused on
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- regional guidelines
- clinical trials
- familial hypercholesterolaemia
Several APSAVD members are participating in the Familial Hypercholesterolaemia 10 Countries collaborative research project, supported by an IAS-Pfizer grant, as well as follow-up activities and research projects.
The 11th APSAVD Congress (2018) will be held in the Philippines, hosted by the Philippines Lipid and Atherosclerosis Society and incorporating their Annual Scientific Meeting.
The 12th APSAVD Congress (2019) will be held in Taiwan, hosted by the Taiwan Society of Lipids and Atherosclerosis and incorporating their Annual Scientific Meeting.
The 13th APSAVD Congress (2020) will be held in Malaysia, hosted by the National Heart Association of Malaysia and incorporating their Annual Scientific Meeting.