Fostering Global Networking
for Better Prevention and Care of Atherosclerosis
On-demand Viewing is Now Available through November 30, 2021, on the ISA 2021 Virtual Viewing Platform. If you missed attending the ISA2021 live, you still have a chance to register for the on-demand subscription until the end of the on-demand viewing period. You may still register here. Registration is Open until November 30th.
- Houston Methodist DeBakey Heart & Vascular Center – CVD PREVENTION SYMPOSIUM – Recorded Live on October 9, 2021
- Winners of the 3rd Wael Al-Mahmeed & IAS Research Training Grants and Fellowships for the MENA Region & Africa announced.
- IAS President Raul D. Santos participated in the Global Coalition for Circulatory Health Position Paper: PREVENTING THE NEXT PANDEMIC: THE CASE FOR INVESTING IN CIRCULATORY HEALTH
- IAS ENDORSES AHA SCIENTIFIC STATEMENT from the American Heart Association Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB): Lipoprotein(a): A Genetically Determined, Causal, and Prevalent Risk Factor for Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease
- Essentials of Residual Risk Video Series – The final four videos, 11, 12, 13, & 14, are now available in the IAS Education Center
- FH in the Arabian Gulf Region: Clinical results of the Gulf FH Registry
- Latin American Consensus Paper on Management of Residual Cardiometabolic Risk
- 74th World Health Assembly Resolution on Diabetes Prevention and Management, including access to insulin
Raul D. Santos
It’s my honor as president of the IAS to welcome the newly elected Board members for 2022-2024. The new Board will be led by President-elect Peter Libby, who assumes the Presidency on January 1, 2022. You can find the names and information on each candidate in this newsletter and on the IAS website. This year we had a wonderful group of candidates who stepped forward to run for our open president-elect and director positions. I thank each of our candidates for their continued service to IAS.
I’m pleased to announce that the Global ASCVD Trends and Emerging Strategies series has been completed. This series, consisting of nine (9) videos, is aimed at medical professionals to comprehensively address LDL-C risk in the prevention of Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events (MACE). Our goal is to close knowledge and practice gaps, reduce clinician uncertainty, and demonstrate how the guidelines and evidence can be applied in a practical manner. The videos, recorded in English, are also available with subtitles in Arabic, Chinese, Portuguese, and Spanish. The series is available in the IAS Education Center (IASEC). While there, check out the other informative programs available.
The members only IAS e-Newsletter is a monthly digest of the latest from the IAS and our Constituent Member Societies.
Going well beyond “Statins,” this members only resource is a clinical tool on the latest information confronting clinicians and researchers.
The International Atherosclerosis Society is pleased to announce the following Award winners. The Awards were presented during the ISA 2021 Opening Ceremony on Sunday, October 24th.
(Click on the name to find more information about each winner)
2021 Antonio M. Gotto, Jr Prize
Paul M Ridker, MD, MPH
Eugene Braunwald Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
2021 Jean-Charles Fruchart Prize
Hitoshi Shimano, MD, PhD
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Japan
2021 NLA Akira Endo Award
Jeremiah Stamler, MD